Thursday, October 07, 2010

Inconsolable

Last night Jake came into our bedroom at 3AMish hauling his two favorite blankets. He trekked on over to his bed (he usually prefers to sleep on a thick blanket on the floor so he has more personal space), he dropped his blankets at his feet, and he reached up for his glass of water on the window ledge. Somehow he dropped the glass and 4 ounces (or so!) of water fell onto his blankets.

He was very upset. He started howling.

He insisted I fix the problem. I went and located a small, dry hand towel and proceeded to attempt to soak up the excess water. The towel became quite damp, but Jake's two blankets did not become dry.

He continued howling.

I tried reasoning with him. It was only water; his blankies would quickly dry. I thought about putting them in the dryer, but I had no idea how clean they were and didn't want to heat set any dirt, so I didn't offer that solution. No matter what I said or what comfort I offered...

He continued howling, quite loudly. He was sad. I was sad. (Opa was sleeping--how does he do that?)

I finally took Jake to his mother since he kept repeating Momma, Momma, Momma. It seemed the perfect solution since mothers can fix anything, right? She told him to be quiet or she'd kick him out of her bed. He was quiet.

Problem solved.

No comments: