Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Happy Birthday Mommy!


I tried to get the kidlets to form hearts with their hands and this is what happened:


I interviewed the children separately to find out their answers to the following questions:

How old is mommy?
V: I don't know. 48.
J: 5. I don’t know. You tell me. 24.
B: 17. (He told me he heard daddy say mommy was 16, so now she must be turning 17 he reasoned.)

What does mommy want to do on her birthday?
V: Decorate the house.
J: Get presents. Get cake. We'll all eat cake!
B: Have some friends over.

What do you want to do on mommy's birthday?
V: Wrap presents.
J: Get her presents and eat cake.
B: Watch her open presents.

What birthday gift does mommy want?
V: A princess doll.
J: A telephone. Band-aids. Cat toys for the kitty. A new kitty.
B: A dress.

What does mommy want for her birthday dinner?
V: Spaghetti.
J: Cake. (The only accurate answer.)
B: Pizza.

What is something special we can do for mommy on her birthday?
V: Wrap her presents with a bow.
J: Get her presents.
B: Decorate the house.

What do you want to say to mommy on her birthday?
V: Happy Birthday?!
J: Happy Birthday to you.
B: Happy Birthday!
Did I word this question poorly? I was hoping for messages of love.

Okay I'm giving up on the birthday themed questions. Once I mentioned the word birthday all three children went into birthday ritual mode and even though they were interviewed separately, they gave very similar answers.

Here's my second round of interviews later in the day.

Tell me something nice about mommy.
V: It's her birthday.
J: She makes dinner. She kisses me.
B: She makes cookies for us. I love her.

What do you like to do with mommy.
V: Eat cake. Read books.
J: Play games. Sleep with her.
B: Play games. Read stories.

Why is your mommy the best mommy?
V: Because I like her.
J: 'Cause she makes the bestest food. Is that a good answer?
B: Because she does lots for us: she helps me finish my puzzle.

What does mommy collect?
(What does mommy have a lot of?)
V: Children.
J: Dresses.
B: Earrings. All kinds of jewelry. How about shoes? Skirts and pants.

Why do you like mommy?
V: Because she kisses us.
J: Because she makes my peanut butter and jelly and hugs me.
B: Because I love her. She takes me places where I want to go. Most of the time she lets me go to Grandma Karen's.

Finish the sentence "My mommy is _______.
V: beautiful.
J: good.
B: good. Did I get it right?

I quit. It's impossible interviewing preschoolers. I did my best.

I love you, Kara! I hope you enjoy your birthday. I know it will be filled with lots of love, hugs, kisses, and wrapped gifts.

No comments: