Sunday, May 01, 2011

Bentley's New Suit

Cutest 5 year old ever:


And his blast from the past:


My, how they grow!

When the kids were "little" (they are SO big now!) I would get excited about dressing them all up for the holidays - Christmas, Easter, special occasions.  Now the boys are getting a little bit bigger and more passionate about their clothing choices - it can be a challenge to dress them in MY idea of nice clothes.  For the most part I've given up and accepted their dress code of jeans and t-shirts; this isn't a battle worthy of fighting!

It's sad though - as they are awfully cute when all dressed up!  This past Sunday was Easter.  I had quizzed Bentley on if he wanted a suit, and he (of course) told me no.  His church dress code consists of sweaters and cords, all of the lovely button down dress shirts he owns languishing sadly in the closet.  Jake has a suit (as seen in the Easter photos), because he inherited one from Bentley.

Easter morning: Jake woke up in a more docile mood than normal, so I decided to go for it and throw the suit on him over his protests.  I figured he was too dazed to protest.  It worked!

Unfortunately, Jake looked SO good (this is my take on it?!) that Bentley took notice.  He asked where his suit was, and almost tears ensued when I reminded him that he didn't own one!  Why spend the money if they won't wear it, right?!  He told me that he really really wanted a suit, that he wanted to pick it, and that he intended to wear it every Sunday.  This all said in almost tears!

I am no fool.  I jumped on this yearning.  Bentley and I went on a shopping date Monday to suit him up.  He was a very cute shopper - he had definite opinions on the different styles and colors of suits.  He tried them all on, checked them out in the mirror, and picked what he wanted.  Then he told me he needed just the right tie and shirt to go with it all!  He looked at all the choices and made a lovely choice - then we headed home where he modeled it all for the family and we put it in the closet for today.

Luckily (I had a FEW fears!) he woke up today still very excited about his new church gear.  Apparently he told everyone at church that he met up with about his new suit and how he picked it.  And he still intends to wear it every week he tells me.  He looks very spiffy and grown up!

Extra perk?  Seeing Bentley get all dressed up this morning inspired Jake to wear HIS suit again too.  I love it!

and 1 more pic w/Daddy (maybe I can convince Bentley and Jake to pose together sometime? that would be crazy, but the planets may align!):

No comments: