Saturday, June 25, 2011

Party Prep

The twins' birthday is tomorrow! We, of course, have had lots of discussions about it over the past week or more. Gifts have been arriving--a big package from Grandma Vicki and various packages from amazon.com ordered by mommy and grandma (me). Yesterday we all went to the store and Viva and Jake picked out two birthday balloons (a birthday tradition at our house) and crepe paper. Viva chose pastel purple crepe paper (the only shade of purple for sale) and Jake chose pastel blue. The two choices go together well, but they don't match our stockpile of bold colored tissue paper decorations. The children don't care.

The twins are not having a party with friends. They haven't asked for one and their mommy says four year olds don't appreciate birthday parties enough to make the bother worth it. (A valid observation.) They have asked about a piñata, but I've told them piñatas hold way too much candy for just three children. I was thinking we could dangle a bag of Skittles and let the children whack away at it, but my housemates think that would make too big a mess. Perhaps they are right.

Today we have to finish putting up the decorations and start wrapping gifts. Tomorrow--on the big day!--we will bake cakes. Jake asked for a rainbow cake. Viva told her mommy she should pick what kind to make for her. Since I've volunteered to make Viva's cake, I decided it will be strawberry. I thought about beet, but what if beet cake tastes as awful as it sounds? I better save that experiment for a nonbirthday event.

No comments: