Monday, September 12, 2011

Ballet for Blonds


Today was Viva's first day of ballet class. She was very excited to go. She's been asking for the past twenty days when it would start. I took her because the class is at my workout club. Although I had good intentions to get there early, we only arrived two minutes or so before the official start of class.

Upon entering the classroom I was rather startled to see seven small, blond girls dressed in pink leotards, one blond girl in a black leotard, and one red-head in a pink outfit. They all looked alike to me. My first thought was that they were all wearing outfits form their last recital, but upon closer examination I noticed the girls were dressed a little differently from each other. There were no brunettes. Which is odd because when I picture a prima ballerina, she's a brunette. Right?!

I left Viva in the class and ran off to get in my workout before the 45 minute class was over. When I returned, the class was still going and I watched for the last few minutes. I was checking out how Viva was doing, when I realized that her hair had come out of her bun and she was wearing a pink ribbon...wait, Viva had a black flower in her hair. Oops, I was watching the wrong little girl! Really, this class was filled with blond ballerina clones. Freaky! (Two more girls in black leotards had joined the class after I left, so there were four blonds in black to confuse me.)

What did Viva think of the class?

"They wanted us to show them our favorite dance. We danced. We played games."

Did you twirl?

"Oh yeah."

Was it fun?

"Yeah."

This interview is going very slow!

"That's all I remember. We played a lot."

Do you want to go back next week?

"Uh-huh. It was too fun."

Maybe she'll give us more next week. Maybe.

No comments: