Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Ugly, Ugly Shirt


Kara and I recently took a trip downtown to JCPenney. We don't like going downtown. It means more driving and trying to find parking on the street or using a parking garage. It's not something we enjoy at all, so our trips downtown are few and far between. We were lured downtown when we received not one, not two, but four $10 off a $10 or more purchase coupons. Two were in Kara's name, two in mine and the dates overlapped, so it seemed like a good idea to head downtown and use our coupons.

We chose to go on Halloween day because Matt was home and he was spending the day with the children. He took the trio and we took the baby. After leaving home, we had to return twice for forgotten items we needed for our shopping trip. Eventually we did make it downtown and into Penney's. Then the hunt began to find items to use our coupons on.

Kara wanted to pick up a new sleeper for Lincoln, so we started in the baby department. We found baby gifts for cousin Ruth's baby while we were there. Then we moved over to the boys' department and started looking for long sleeved shirts. Kara found a few she really like, but could only find two of them in our boys' small size. Then I found a perfectly delightful dinosaur shirt that changed colors in the sun. How cool is that?

Kara said it was ugly. She wouldn't buy it. She didn’t want me to buy it either because then she'd have to look at it. I thought about what she said. Then I thought about how much the boys would love the shirt. I bought it.

When we got home we had three shirts for the two boys. I gave them the shirts Kara picked out, a green one with a tiger on it and brown one with a moose. They boys liked them. Then I pulled out the dinosaur shirt. "Who's that for?" they both asked. What could I say? I responded jokingly, "Viva!" They just laughed because that was an absurd answer.

Viva got really excited. She said she'd love the dinosaur shirt. Huh?! She doesn't care two figs for dinosaurs. What was she up to?! I recanted and told the boys it was their shirt, but they would have to share ownership. Not an ideal solution, but there was only one of these very cool, ugly dinosaur shirts.

The next morning when the trio got up, the three shirts were washed and ready to wear. Viva still claimed she wanted the shirt, so I gave her first wear of it. She matched it with her brown floral skirt.

Kara was, I think, pretty amazed with Viva's ensemble. It far exceeded what Kara dreaded when she first saw the shirt at JCPenney. I think it's a cute outfit. Very apropos for the sister of two dinosaur fans.

No comments: