Thursday, January 12, 2012

Countdown to Florida

When I first decided to take the trio on vacation with Mark and I, I planned to visit Hawaii in the dead of winter. Escaping the dark, cold winter for a week in a tropical paradise is a common Alaskan fantasy. I wanted to take the children to play in the surf. I hoped to convince them that walking barefoot in warm sand is one of life's finer pleasures. The trio have been to Florida once and Mexico twice, but they haven't much liked the sand in either place. That is crazy. Kara tells me that Matt doesn’t like sand. That's just wrong. I hoped I could overcome their resistance and show them just how awesome warm beaches can be. Hawaii is the place to do that.

Unfortunately, while I was planning to go to Hawaii, I didn't make any air or hotel reservations. When I finally got around to doing so, the airfares and hotel rates were too high for me to willingly pay. I had to rethink my plan. My new plan was to go to Florida to visit Mark's parents and to visit Disney World. The air fares to Florida were cheaper than to Hawaii. The hotels in Orlando were a lot cheaper than the hotels in Maui. Of course, passes to Disney World are not cheap for five people, but overall a Florida trip would be less expensive than a Hawaii trip. And, there is a new Legoland near Orlando and the world's largest McDonald's PlayPlace is in Orlando, too. Try and top that!

So we are off to Florida in early February. It should be an exciting trip. We will be hunting for shark's teeth, visiting the great-grandparents, playing at a water park, checking out Legoland, and visiting four Disney theme parks to collect smashed pennies and take a ride or two.

No comments: