Monday, September 17, 2012

Review: A Cry From Eygpt

Last month I was sent a copy of a A Cry From Egypt, by Hope Auer, and put out by Raising Real Men.  It's the first book (and the only one published to date!) in a series called The Promised Land.  The series is about an Israelite slave family and is set in the time before the exodus from Egypt.


Without giving away the plot... the book is about a 12 year old girl, and her family.  It's about the questions they must answer about God and the dangers they face living as slaves.

I initially intended to read this book out loud with my 6 year old.  The publisher recommends it for ages 8 and up, I thought that maybe because Bentley is an advanced reader it would be a good resource for him anyway.  However, I did not take into account his temperament.  I ended up deciding the book would be too intense to read aloud with him QUITE yet, due to the serious subject content and the real way that violence was sometimes portrayed.  This was not a major theme in the book, but it was enough to make me think I should hold off on sharing the book - the publisher's target of 8+ is probably right on! 

I myself found it a fun read, as an adult!  It had more "meat" to it than your average children's book but it was still a very engaging read.  The author, Hope Auer, does a good job of making the time she is writing about come alive in a real way.  Some of my favorite things about this book:
  • Great religious dialogue between the characters, a good starting point for conversation with your kids.
  • Lots of small details about what life was like during this time, that make the time period come alive.
  • Fleshed out character development, which helps you feel engaged in the story.
  • Discussion of the geography of Egypt, useful in making ancient geography studies more relevant
  • The descriptions of the plagues that Egypt faced because the Pharaoh didn't want to let the  Israelites go.  Yet another way the book helps the Bible and history "come alive"!

I look forward to sharing this book with my children in a couple years.  It will provide them with an additional way to flesh out bible stories they already know, and make it all become more real to them.  Which is good!

A fun fact?  The author is a homeschool graduate, as is the young man who did the cover art for the book.

If you want to check out the book, you can do so here.  It is currently available for $12.50 including shipping.  The publishing company, Great Waters Press, is small.  They do have some other engaging content.  You can read more about their other resources here.   I like the "tag line" on their site - "making biblical family life practical."  Sounds like a good goal to me!

Want other thoughts and opinions?  To see what the rest of the TOS Crew had to say head over to the Schoolhouse Review blog.  


I was provided with this book to review free of charge.  That being said, all opinions expressed are 100% mine.

No comments: