Monday, January 19, 2015

…But WHAT Do You Like about It?


 Lincoln has been really cracking me up lately.  He's very creative - he loves to play with his kinetic sand, build huge and elaborate structures with his magformers, and create crayon art scenes that have quite the narrative behind them.  He is always bringing us something to admire or asking us to come and look at something he's created.  It goes something like this:

Lincoln: "Mommy, do you like my ______?"
Me: "Why yes!  I can see you've worked hard on it!"
Lincoln:  "... but WHAT exactly do you like about it?"

At which point I describe how the sides are all so crazy and wonderful, or how the use of bold colors is particularly cheerful, or.... !

I think it's hilarious that he goes after this type of specific praise.  He isn't going to settle for some type of blanket comment on the overall structure or creation.  He wants details!  I guess I shouldn't be too surprised as it's a common theme of parenting books - find specific things to praise!  Luckily for me I have a three year old to help me keep honing my work-in-progress parenting skills.  :)

No comments: