Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Those Darn Kids...

Kids say the funniest things!  I love all the "personality" that is showing through now that they are able to express themselves.  (Edit:  I normally, during the hours of the day they are SUPPOSED to be awake, love this personality explosion!  20 minutes ago - 11:30 pm - Viva was still signing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam.  Sheesh!).

So here's some of their more amusing words as of late:

Viva, whenever she wishes to express agreement, says "mmmmm, hmmmm!".  Half of the cute factor is the tone she has down for it.

Jake, whenever he wants to say yes, gets tripped up by his 2 year old self.  No comes out first, followed quickly by a yes.  It's like he just can't help himself.  No is his instinctive response, and then when his brain has a moment to consider the question he can give his final answer!

Bentley, when he is not happy with whatever I say (which is often!), tells me "I have a PLAN - listen".  And then he shares a plan which normally centers around his belief that he, not I, am really the one in charge.  And sometimes I have a hunch (which I don't share with him, of course!) that he might be correct.  Uh oh!

On how gory young children can be:

Bentley (& Jake & Viva to be honest) like to shoot.  They don't have guns.  I don't have a specific anti-gun policy, although I don't really like the idea of toy guns.  I'm more in favor of medieval weapons only in the house.  We have axes and swords!  But, back on topic.  Shooting.  They point their little fingers and make a nice "pssshew, psssshew" sound.  Which I assume is the noise for the trigger being pulled.  On one occasion I told Bentley that if he didn't knock if off, and head straight to time out, I might take the Kung Fu Panda Wii game and break it in half.  What did he tell me?  "Mommy, if you do that, I'll tell Daddy to throw you out a window so a moose can stomp on you".

Sheeeesh!  I know it's not appropriate to laugh when they say things like this.  But you have to wonder where they come up with it.  I promise they haven't been watching any violent TV or movies, and we don't read those kind of books!  I think the young creative little boy mind comes up with these things all on its own.  Fascinating AND scary!

Speaking of violence!  Last night I was summoned to the room because of Jake's crying.  Jake informed me Bentley had bit him.  I asked Bentley if this was true, and he said "maybe".  So I asked Viva, who concurred with Jake's story.  I sent Bentley to time out, and then we asked Jake to show us the bite marks.  First, when we asked "where did Bentley bite you?", he said "I don't know".  Upon further prompting?  "Maybe the bite marks have already faded".  Seriously.  That's what the 2 year old said!  So did he or did he not get bitten?  We'll never know.

During prayer the other night Bentley said he was thankful for Jake, because Jake bit Viva.  Viva interrupted the prayer with "no!  we are not thankful for that.  that was VERY naughty and VERY VERY not nice!".  As least one of them has the house rules down pat.

It's not always violence and gore though!  Last week Viva was feeling poorly, and I had to take her sheets/blankets/pillow case and throw it all in the washer after she spit up on it.  She was quite unhappy about not having HER blankets, and kept throwing off what was offered.  Bentley spent a while trying to convince her that the new loaner blankets were awfully nice and fuzzy, but when that didn't work what did he do?  He gave her his favorite fuzzy Thomas blanket to sleep with.  (and she accepted it, she knew it was a good offer!).  He's a sweetie!

But back to the gore.  Viva likes to ask Great-Grandma: "When are you going to have your other knee cut open so you can get a new one put in"??  She's waiting for Great-Grandma version 2.0 who can run and jump still.  :-)

And there it is.  Some thoughts and words from the minds of my almost 4 year old and 2 1/2 year olds.  I imagine they get even more entertaining with age?

1 comment:

Sam and Carmin said...

B feeling grateful for J's biting ability--and V sticking up for herself is the best!! I love it!