Friday, January 22, 2010

Viva - my future (and current) trouble maker!

My children don't sleep at night.  I'm sure there is a reason why that I should know, but I'm just not getting it yet.  I'll have to keep pondering it.

The other night (close to midnight) Viva was still jumping off the top of her bed onto the blankets and cushions below, and singing songs to keep her brothers awake.  It's not always just her, mind you, but she's impossible to repress.  That's a good AND a bad thing, I suppose!

So this week I decided to try some negative reinforcement.  Forget sticker charts where you earn stars.  I came up with a chart where you get a big letter X if you  misbehave.  Four Xs?  Depending on the kid there are different negative ramifications.

I know, I know.  A bit much for the 2 1/2 year olds.  But Bentley seems to "get it" so that's a start....

Viva, however, totally does NOT get it.  We reviewed the chart right before lights out.  I said:

"Viva, if you get four Xs that means you don't get to pick a story at bedtime tomorrow."

she looked at me, with a blank *so*? expression...

so I upped the ante

"Viva - if you get four Xs I'm going to take ALL your princess stuff away tomorrow"

what did she tell me?

"Oh!  I have princess stuff at Grandma Karen's too"

she then provided some specific details, so I'd know what all to collect if I need to take it all away.  Seems I really phased her, huh?

I headed out of the room.  Not too much later I was called back.  Too much singing and not enough sleeping. I gave them Xs.

After her first X I ramped up my threat:

"Viva, if I have to come back in here you're getting another X AND a spanking".

Guess what?  I had to head back in.  Bentley banged on the door to let me know Viva had pulled Jake's hair.

"Viva, did you pulll Jake/s hair?"

"Yep!  I get a spanking AND an X!!!"  (said with great cheer)

I provided a spank, told her I'd be updating her chart, and headed out.  She said:

"Is that all??"

I heard banging on the door as soon as I left.  She was at the door:

"I want to SEE the X on my chart!!!"

Uhmmm.... no.  I told her to go lay down.  Apparently we parted on good terms, because her closing comment was:

"Mommy, I want to play our new cherries and apples (Hi Ho Cherry O) game in the morning!"

Really.  I don't think she's getting it.  At all.



Note: I realize I also come off as slightly delusional/aka not getting it here.... but sometimes I feel compelled to try SOMETHING!  And participation/buy in from 1 out of 3 is a start.... right?

No comments: