Monday, September 01, 2014

Five Crowns

A couple of weeks ago Kara introduced Bentley to the card game Five Crowns. It's a rummy game. The deck includes five suits, two of everything from 3 to king, and jokers, too. Each round a different card is wild in addition to the jokers. It's a fast paced game. 

Kara taught Bentley the game and played a few games with him and then I was recruited and Kara bowed out. The children all know that when I'm asked to play a game with them I will, so I'm usually the go-to adult for games. 

Viva usually isn't interested in playing games with us. Half the time when she joins a game it's under duress. For whatever reason, she decided Five Crowns was a great game. The first couple of games I played with her and Bentley she was incredibly lucky which made Bentley rather angry. He insisted that I not let her play with us or that I play a game with him and then a game with her. I, of course, let her join the games with him and me. 

Jake wasn't interested in playing with us at first. I think he'd had a bad experience with Kara and Bentley. After a few days he helped me play a game and then he played a couple of games with his own hand, but with my help. 

Rummy is a game of skill, but with as many wild cards as there are in Five Crowns, luck plays a big role, too. We had a few rough games when my young cohorts were upset with how the cards fell. Their mom said that maybe we should try playing earlier in the day: 11PM was not their best time of day. I refused the next couple of late night offers and now we haven't played in days. 

No comments: