Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Saved by Strangers!

* Warning! Long post, no pictures. But don't worry, the next post will be lots of pictures, short on words!

I was playing with titles for this newest post and kept leaning towards something catchy like “distress at the post office”, or “hardship & trials“. But I realized that those terms were a bit dramatic (as opposed to saved by strangers) so I went with focusing on the positive ending instead of the very irksome middle of the story.

The day started normal. Crazy kids, crazy Mom, not even 11 am yet. But - our day was about to take a turn, and not for the better. In anticipation of our trip to Mexico this fall I realized I should probably get serious about passports for our children. Since passports can take up to 12 weeks to arrive I realized this past week that I should REALLY get serious!

Off to Costco we had gone the prior weekend for passport photos. I'd toyed around with editing some photos we have to get them the right size/dimensions, but then realized how much simpler it would be to pay the $5 fee at Costco. The children cooperated (kind of) and we had step one completed - suitable mug shots. On a side note, the kids seem to realize that id photos aren't meant to be you at your best. They put on their worried/disturbed/tired faces so they could fit in with the masses. :-)

When applying for passports for the first time you have to do it in person. If you're applying for a child both parents have to be there. Okay, great. I called out to the post office on Friday and was ready to go get the applications taken care of. It was a good thing I called. The post office I wanted to go to isn't yet doing passport applications, despite what the U.S. state department website says. The only option? An adventure at the downtown post office.

We coordinated with Matt, and decided on Monday as the day to go. My husband was being a little negative and indicated that the downtown post office is very slow, it would take forever, etc, etc... I tuned out his negative vibes and hoped for a quick and easy experience. After all, how hard can this be? I had already printed out all the forms through the website, all we needed to do was sign them and pay. Ha ha ha...

We showed up at the post office (after putting our money in the parking meter, which only lets you pay for 30 minutes at a time - what a joke!). There were about 10 people in front of us, and as we walked in one of the two postal workers went on lunch break. 10 people, 1 worker. It could be doable if your worker speaks English and is efficient. Not the case for us, unfortunately. After 18 minutes (I was watching the clock so we could run out and add more money to the greedy meter, of course!) the postal worker was still with the same customer, but we'd moved up 2 posts in the line due to attrition in the ranks!

The customer at the front had NOT filled out their passport application online, and rather than send them off to the side to fill out the 3 pages the worker had them standing at the counter filling it out. While we all waited. Sweet.

Moving on, we finally made it to the front about 55 (give or take!) minutes into the fun trip. Our dear postal worker didn't seem to think my kids' birth certificates were authentic. She kept turning them from side to side and squinting at them. Apparently she's never seen the wallet size versions before. She finally asked a coworker about it (he'd had time to go to lunch and make it back!) and he assured her these versions have been around for years. And they have.

Time to pay - finally! The post office is supposed to accept credit card, debit, check, and cash. I was planning to use credit card, but our post office only accepts debit/check for the passports. Whatever - I swiped my debit card. I was told the PIN didn't go through and to try again. I tried again, and it still didn't work. I know my PIN number! Just as I was starting to steam we were told that the system the post office uses to accept debit & credit was completely down. Our worker called the main office to try and get information, but they didn't answer the phone. Off at lunch, I'd imagine!

So after standing in that lovely line for an hour, signing all the forms, and waiting through the slow slow finalization of the forms by our worker? We were told we could pay with cash/check or come back. Come back? Yikes! Our trip might be in jeopardy if it meant coming back! I'm not the type that carries the check book (although maybe I should start). Matt and I also aren't prone to carrying excessive amounts of cash on us. I don't like cash. It has a bad habit of going away, and then you're left wondering what you spent it on.

After emptying our wallets (from corner to corner) we were still $100 short of the $256 (yes - you read that right - for 3 children all under 3, whose passports are only good for 5 years - obscene, isn't it?!). Luckily for us our children had put the last hour to good use busy charming the lovely couple in line behind us - who loaned us $100 in cash so we didn't have to come back to the nasty post office. So so so so nice, and unexpected, and kind. I can't believe these people, who knew nothing about us, were willing to be so helpful. I appreciated it (very much) though! And don't worry, we paid them back right afterwards with the help of an ATM at the mall.

The final tidbit? Because we *chose* to pay cash we had a domestic money order fee tacked onto our bill.

2 comments:

Llama Wanderings said...

I just LOVE trips to the post office; and I only have one!

Why is it that the post office is always 90 degrees inside? Or even hotter!

The Adventures of Carrie, Brook, Finn and Reid said...

Man! I remember my trip to the downtown post office to get my passport (after filling everything out, complete with photo, etc.) and it was about an hour at least! I can't imagine doing it with kids in tow, but I'm sure it will be inevitable one of these days!

It's nice to know that there are still kind people in this world! Thanks 'stranger'!