Monday, February 23, 2009

Better Late...

than not at all!



We had fun this month with Valentine's Day. I imagine it just gets better every year as the kids are more able to grasp the concept, and as they get more excited about holidays!

We had a great time making sweets with our friends. My brain was on vacation so I forgot the camera for BOTH playdates. We made pretzel buttons with friends, and later the week of Valentine's Day we decorated sugar cookies with some other friends. To be honest I should say Bentley decorated cookies - Jake and Viva were more interested in just eating them as quick as they could!

Pretzel buttons (misnamed, but we couldn't find the right size round pretzels so we used square!):


Bentley also helped me out with some sugar cookies for everyone in our home. What is Valentine's Day without a sugar cookie, right?!




I like my sugar cookies very moist and soft. However, I recently purchased an awesome book called Cookie Craft and so tried their recipe. Not quite as tasty, but I can see why it would be good for the perfect decorating cookies. No baking powder or soda, so they don't rise funny. They keep the shape you cut them out with. We painted some of our cookies with colored egg whites, before cooking (they turned out a lovely red!) and we used a small heart as a stencil to shake sprinkles into and outline hearts on other cookies. We're getting fancy!

On Valentine's Day we had berry smoothies (pink!) and apple pie for dinner. Non traditional? Perhaps. Tasty? Other than the smoke pouring through the house because I overfilled the pie pan? Absolutely!

2 comments:

Llama Wanderings said...

I think you need to pass on that recipe for the pretzel buttons! :D Way too cute!

Sam and Carmin said...

I agree about passing on the pretzel button recipe! And I like square buttons. They have a little more style . . .