Sunday, April 19, 2009

Alaskan Sun

Bentley is NOT too sure about this whole Land of the Midnight Sun! All winter long he was disturbed because he'd take a nap, wake up, and it would already be dark. We'd have almost daily arguments because he didn't want to go to sleep, because that would mean it would be dark out. I think he believed that his nap caused the sun to set. Why not? To a 3 year old the world does revolve around that one very important little person.

Now we're having different problems. He tells us he can't go to bed until it's dark out at night, and with the days getting longer... well, you can figure out where this is going. He thinks bed time should be moved a little later every day! And as for nap time, with that bright light shining in the afternoon? I've been busy shopping for the perfect curtains, I can assure you.

I found him some you tube videos that explain why the days are shorter in the winter and longer in the summer. As you can tell by his expression while watching, he might not completely get it yet.

4 comments:

Llama Wanderings said...

I never did get used to that crazy sun up there! Blackout curtains work well, as you know. But, we did not go that route; we had mini-blinds on the windows so we put those down with lined curtains over that and it worked pretty well. The REAL hard part was realizing that it as 11 or 12 at night and I was still running around doing stuff, taking the time to chill before bed was hard for us.

Let us know how the curtains work!

Life as an RN said...

I'm with Bentley on this one, I think he should be able to stay up until it's dark out! :)

jhl said...

I LOVE that you found a video to demonstrate the principles of a tilted earth and seasonal change to a 3 year old! That is so awesome!

The Adventures of Carrie, Brook, Finn and Reid said...

I don't think it's that Bentley doesn't understand, the look he is giving you is, "Mom! Why would you think I care?...I'm THREE!!!". Good try though, Kara! :)

The blackout shades that I got for the boys when they were born don't fit in their new bedroom windows. So now we are using a combination of blinds, 2 fleece dark purple blankets clothes-pinned to the blinds and a very dark shower curtain which covers the mess! Classy, huh? It works though...I just put the additional dark purple blankets on their windows on Monday and WE have to wake THEM up in the morning...imagine that! We've yet to attempt naptime since installing the new "shades", and I am hoping that it will go over better than the past few weeks!

Also in their room is a 'half moon' window, which we purchased a ridiculously expensive wooden blind covering that we keep closed all summer long. We purchased that last year and it was the best money ever spent. I don't know how the little girl who lived in the bedroom before us could tolerate the bright sun!