Monday, January 31, 2011

FIVE YEARS OLD!


Bentley was born five years ago today. It's been a fantastic five years. I enjoyed bonding with him when he was an infant. He was a delightful toddler. As a preschooler he has been bright and eager. I always enjoy the time I spend with my grandson. He's fun to hang with.

He is happy when he wakes up--eager to get started with the new day. He has a great smile. He's quite picky about what he eats and what he wears (jeans only and no button shirts). He likes to know his schedule, especially what time he can get up from his afternoon rest period.

B is not a big cuddler, but he likes to be near others. He's not one to go off and hang out alone in another room. He needs the security of an adult close by, but once he feels secure, he's quite independent.

He has lots of activities that he enjoys pursuing on his own (puzzles, blocks, Duplos, drawing), but he also likes to play with his siblings (swords, running, hide & seek, building forts). He is usually a good big brother, but he sometimes teases too much. (Jake is an easy target.)

Bentley has activities he shares with his dad (Wii, Legos, videos) and activities he does with his great-grandma (games mostly!). His opa helps him figure out new iPad aps and takes lots of photos of him for us to use in this blog. His mom will be writing her own birthday boy post, so she can share what activities she enjoys doing with B.

He and I had a routine of playing at least one game every afternoon before nap time, but we haven't done so the past month or more. I miss that time with him. I'll have to lure him back with a new game. He's a good game partner.

B likes to use my iPad. He's very clever and can beat me on some of the game aps. I need to sharpen my skills! Maybe take lessons from him. He teaches Jake how to do the games he's mastered.

He's good with numbers and can count and write to at least 240 as I wrote about in a recent post. He does simple adding and subtracting in his head. He knows his letters, but isn't yet interested in reading. He's very good with opposites. He likes to do mazes.

Bentley is a good artist. He does a great job drawing intricate pictures which he will then tell a story about. He likes to use pencil, crayon, and watercolor. He is generous with his artwork; he even asks his mom to mail some of it to Grandma Vicki and urompa.

Spending time with Bentley is one of the greatest blessings in my life.

No comments: