Saturday, March 03, 2012

Iditarod 2012

It's the first Saturday in March, so it's time for the start of the Iditarod. Well, the unofficial start--the real start is tomorrow at Willow. There are 66 teams running the Iditarod this year. I was about to say competing in, but a lot of the teams are not competitive. They have no chance of winning, but are running the race for personal reasons. I told my housemates today that I might add running the Iditarod to my (hypothetical) bucket list. Everyone was surprised at my announcement since they know I don't like dogs--and I've never indicated I was crazy before. Run the Iditarod?! I was thinking it was easier than climbing Mount McKinley and just about as impressive. Umm....is it easier?

Anyway, the 40th Iditarod race is almost underway. The kidlets, their parents, and opa went to a popular viewing spot to see the dog teams. Most years we go back up the trail a little ways where it isn't so crowded, but this spot is popular because there is free food. Jake and Viva had a sausage, cookies, and hot chocolate. Bentley ate cookies only. They played in the snow. They watched some teams go by. (I stayed home with Lincoln because I had a math tutoring session.)

I asked the trio how they liked the sled dogs today. Here's what they said:

J: "Yeah! (Thanks for the input Jakers. He's rather distracted. He & Matt leave for Las Vegas in a few hours.)

B: "Best thing in the World!" (Better than Disney World?! Better than Legos?)

V: (I took the iPad away to get her attention.) "What sled dogs?" "They looked good. I liked them."

B: "They looked good and they have long tongues. The green booties looked good."

J: "Yes! Very good."

B: "I liked getting dog booties and giving high fives." (This is the second year Bentley has gotten a souvenir dog bootie.)

I then asked the adults how they liked the sled dogs.

Kara: "Go dogs, go."

Matt: "I'm thankful they are on their way."

Mark: "It's a great, fun tradition to watch the eager doggies run."

Here's the photos opa shot of the Altmans at Iditarod 2012.


Where is that brother of mine?


The perfect--oblivious--target!


Check out the snow depth! Even a light weight sinks in pretty far.
(Anchorage is on track to set a new seasonal snowfall record.)


Quick, quick--here comes another team!


Viva eating snow.


High fiving the mushers!


Another team!


Check out those tongues.


Time for a quick family photo--Viva is not cooperating.


The best of the group shots. Oddly enough Viva had the most great solo shots.

No comments: