Thursday, April 04, 2013

Boy Scouts & iPhones

I had an insightful (ha!) conversation with Jake today.

We were driving down the road, and I was attempting to sing a song.  Something along the lines of "Why can't we be friends... ".  Jake says:

"We can't be friends because you're a mean Mommy!!!"

Ahhh.  A common refrain from poor Jake who feels that life is very unjust to him.  I think he has a bit of a dramatic streak but I'm also quite certain he disagrees with me on that.

I decided, once again, to try and have a deep conversation with a 5 year old.  Always a 50-50 type of proposition!

"Jake!  You know it's not my job to be a nice Mommy.  It's my job to be a GOOD Mommy.  I want you to grow to be a good person with great character and good habits we've built together!  This means that sometimes I have to help you make right choices because I'm much older and have experience and perspective that can help you.  Besides, I'm your parent and it's my job to help you be all you can be."

"Someday you're going to want be older, and you're going to..."

Jake then interrupts me with:.

"You are SOO right about that, Mommy."

"Uhmmmm... so right about what?"

"I do want to be older.  I want to be 8 so I can go to Boy Scouts!"

Me: "Well, I was actually talking much older than 8 even.  Like maybe 16 or 18, when you'll want to drive, go on a mission, go to college..."

Jake: "Oh!  I do want to be much older too.  Then I can get my own iPhone!"

** Another meaningful conversation concluded.  **

No comments: