Monday, September 09, 2013

"You Drive Me Crazy!"


The two year old is driving me crazy. Lincoln continues to visit my bedroom from early in the morning (while I am still in bed) to late at night (when opa is going to bed) to play with the trains. One evening (late!) we put the train layout away so we could have a train-free night, but when I returned to the bedroom a couple of hours later, there was yet another train layout on the floor. I asked Mark where he had been when our young builder snuck in to build. "Weren't you here guarding our free space?!" I didn't really need to hear his answer. Lincoln doesn't ever ask for permission or listen if you try to distract him. Lincoln is the perfect salesman--he assumes a close and moves forward with his project without ever negotiating terms. And he relentlessly recruits building partners. No one can say no to him. "Julie, Help me!" is a refrain I hear in my sleep at night. (Is it possible I've built layouts myself in a sleepwalking state of mind?)

Before Lincoln became passionate about trains, Bentley and Jake went weeks without building a layout. Jake was much more likely to build than Bentley. Jake is a builder. However, since Lincoln has caught the fever, he's infected his older brothers and even Bentley is found quite often in my bedroom connecting track pieces.

No comments: