Saturday, July 06, 2013

If You Can't Beat 'em...

Being surrounded by small children, day in and day out, is enough to drive the sanest person crazy.  And I'm not sure if I was 100% sane to start with.  So if you can't beat the crazies... what to do?  Embrace them!

I'm a night owl.  If current sleep research is to be believed there's a good chance I've cursed my children with this same trait through heredity.  In deference to my lack of a morning side, we already start our day on the later side of normal.  But even with that allowance I don't often hit my stride until evening (and I'm pretty sure I have a kid or two with this same problem).  

But maybe we've found the solution?  A few weeks back Matt was out of town and headed back on the 1 am flight.  Or so I thought.  It was a Wednesday evening, which means that the kids had spent the day playing - we take Wednesday off from school "work" around here.  I wasn't looking forward to Thursday morning, and I figured the kids might want to stay up to see their Father arrive home.  Inspiration struck!

I asked them if they wanted to do Thursday's school work early (it was 10pm on Wednesday), then eat pancakes at midnight and watch cartoons.  Of course they said yes!  


And we lived happily every after.  Except Daddy's flight didn't come into until 4 something, I'd gotten the time wrong.  We were asleep by then.  We're not totally crazy!

I've had many requests for more midnight pancakes, but despite the appeal to go with it I'm holding strong against them.  I don't really want to get them on a totally confused shift worker type of sleep schedule.... right?!  :)

Off I go.  Back to reading my book on Healthy Sleep Habits.  Apparently most people are chronically sleep deprived.

No comments: