Thursday, May 08, 2008

Plugs & Thumbs

On March 1st Kara got rid of all the baby pacifiers. I was amazed how easily the transition went. Jackson was quite addicted to his baby plug, but he barely seemed to miss it. We thought the twins might take up thumb sucking instead, but neither Jackson or Genevieve has done so yet. They suck on their silky blankets at nap time and bed time. Or at least they did that at first, maybe they no longer do it. I'll have to ask Kara.

And so life went for a number of weeks--plug free! However the last month Jackson has taken to using Fisher Price little people and single block Mega Blocks as plugs. He puts the plug in and then goes about his business.



It's not an attractive look, but telling a baby they look ridiculous doesn't change their behavior.

Since I'm on the topic of plugs, I thought I'd mention that Bentley has radically changed his thumb sucking behavior. A couple of months ago his thumb developed a wound on it and he quit sucking it for a few days. Since that time I haven't seen him suck his thumb at all, but his parents say that he does at night. Before his wound, he sucked it at night and for short periods during the day when he was stressed and often when he was in his car seat, too. His blankie has become less popular, too. Until a month or so ago he took it everywhere with him. He seldom left home without it. While I think these changes are for the better, I don't like that he's growing up so fast.

No comments: