Thursday, December 16, 2010

Ornaments Part 2: Fancy Snowflakes

Even though I own lots of Christmas ornament making supplies and kits, I'm always on the lookout for new stuff. I was at Michaels and I found a kit with ten thick, white, cardboard snowflakes. The kit came with markers, but we didn't use those.

Bentley and I started working on the snowflakes while the twins were napping. B painted four of ornaments. Then we tried glue and glitter. Next it was time to add embellishments--rhinestones, tri-beads, buttons, and sequins.

This is where we ran into a problem. Every ornament B had helped me base coat was now HIS ornament and he was against letting his siblings help finish them. He said they wouldn't do a good job! When I finally talked him into letting Viva do one of "his" ornaments, he gave her exact directions on how to finish it.

When we started the project I should have told him we were painting them so Jake and Viva could help add other stuff. If he knows ahead of time, he's usually willing to share, but if he doesn't then he wants to keep and safeguard his art from others.

Bentley and I worked on most of the ornaments together and Viva helped out with two of them. Jake wasn't interested in working with us on this project.

We put the finished snowflakes on the French doors going into the library. They look great. The only problem is that Rameses likes to attack them and rip off the tri-beads and rhinestones. Kittens! (It turns out that glue dots don’t stick so well to glitter. Duh!)



No comments: