Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Box Fort

Back in January when we got a new dishwasher, the kids got their first box. I did a short blog on it titled The Big Box. Later in the month I purchased two nightstands and a small chest of drawers for the bathroom and they all came in boxes which were not as large as the dishwasher box, but still large enough to accommodate a preschooler and a foam chair.





Then in February we got a new fridge. When the delivery guys called to say they were on their way, Kara asked if they had extra boxes they could bring. They generously gave us two other large boxes, two stove boxes. I retired one of the nightstand boxes (it was pretty beat up) and then with the remaining six boxes and one play tent tunnel I created a beautiful box fort for the kidlets. Okay, it's not really beautiful, but it is fun.


I’m quite proud of my cobbled together boxes. I used 3/4" pink ribbon, packing tape, and a paring knife (our utility knife needs to be replaced!) to create my masterpiece. The trio first used it for airplane trips to Las Vegas and Arizona. Vegas and Arizona? I assume that’s because that’s where we in this household have vacationed most recently. Even at their young age they know Barrow is not a vacation destination.

Then they used the fort for playing in with the cat. The cat really likes the fort. He is the only one allowed to climb on top of it. When the cousins, Kolttan and Cheyenne, came over I encouraged them to place some cave drawings in the fort. Then the kidlets added more artwork.

I cut new holes in the fridge box and Jake, Viva, and I practiced tossing balls in the holes. Viva crept closer and closer to the box until she was reaching her hand in through the holes, so I put down a long piece of tape on the carpet and told them they had to stand behind it when throwing their balls. Viva wandered off and Jake and I kept at our throwing practice. The cat sat inside the box laughing at us. Sometimes he stuck his head out of one of the holes. He had no fear of being hit by ball, so bad was our aim. We need more practice. Here is a different use for the new holes:


Kara and Mark wanted to retire the fort because it takes up a lot of space and the children only play in it for a short time each day, but I convinced them to let us keep it for a few more days. It's true that most days the children don't spend hours in the fort, but they are busy kids. They've spent a lot of time lately reading and eating and napping and getting dressed and drawing and doing science projects and playing games and so how much time is left for playing in their fort?! They like it a lot. They want to keep it. It's going to have to go someday soon though because it really does take up the entire family room.

No comments: