Sunday, March 27, 2011

Saturday Afternoon at the Museum

Kara recently purchased a museum membership and since we share a household (I think that's why) Mark and I were included on the pass. I have to admit I am a bit of a museum snob. When I travel to major cities I make a point of visiting a museum or two or five. I insist on it. However, I have not spent much time at our local museum. First, the museum owns no paintings by major artists and second, I'm not much into native history or anthropology.

However, the museum now houses a science center, the Imaginarium, and science is way cool, so when Kara invited me to go with her and the kidlets last week to meet cousin Anna and the little cousins, I went. Anna and her children and cousin Tiernan gave us a tour of the Imaginarium showing us their favorite stations. Anna bought a family pass a couple of months ago, so they've been a few times already. Jake and Bentley have been to the museum with Grandma Karen, but Viva had not yet been there.

Then this Saturday (just days later--not years as is my usual practice), I went again. I suggested to Mark that we take the children to view the school district's annual student art show. The children all thought it was a fine idea. Bentley thoughtfully viewed all the art. Viva was easily distracted after the first 20 pieces. Jake was distracted by Viva. (It matters who you keep company with!)

Nonetheless it was a good visit. We saw the artwork. We got some great ideas for artwork to do at home. We visited the science center (at Viva's suggestion) and opa took this great photo below:


The highlight of the adventure? It was walking to and from the truck to the museum. The sidewalk was lined with a short cement retaining wall and the children all thought it was great fun to walk on the wall.

No comments: