Thursday, February 14, 2013

Valentine's Day

I am not entirely on top of things in a "we're ready BEFOREhand kind of way," but... nonetheless, we did our best to add some Valentine's Day cheer into our day!  Despite the fact the Genevieve kept insisting, all day, that Valentine's Day is soon... not today, but some time else, some time else soon.  She wouldn't hear otherwise from us.

We started the day with cake.

Wait, back up.  I actually started my day with this cutie at 1 am:


He watches TV with Grandma in the evenings and then on her way to bed she leaves him on the couch for me.  He's SO cute! 

 Bake to the cake we had for breakfast.  It was a bundt cake.  Shaped like a heart, of course:


Pound cake was the flavor the day and it was a hit with all.  It was a particularly huge hit with Lincoln and I found that quite gratifying - he's not much for brownies and cookies and most of what I normally bake, which I find slightly odd and disturbing.  

Next we got busy and did some schoolwork.  No rest for young children, that's my motto!

After not too long it was lunch time.  In keeping with the sugary theme of this holiday we made some heart shaped cookies.

Evan wasn't quite sure what to do with his...


I helped him eat it.  Since his lack of teeth present difficulty for him.  Bentley, Jake, and Viva ate their cookies.  And some apples and snap peas, since I had to pretend we were having a healthy lunch!  Lincoln, as mentioned, is not a huge fan of cookies.  He declined his treat.

Next up we got to work on a Valentine's Day craft:



No picture of Lincoln cutting, but he certainly did offer.

I saw a fabric garland made out of cute little hearts on Pinterest.  Grandma obligingly picked us up some cute fabrics and interfacing, to make them stiffer, at the store today.  So I told my little workers to get busy.  And it was amazing!  They cut so fast!  It was like having my own little shop of elves to work for me... I had visions (brief) of being able to open an Etsy shop and use the children as free manual labor.  But, alas, they wanted to quit eventually.  So I had to let them.  To be fair, we did cut out 135 hearts!  Genevieve is the speediest with the scissors, but her brothers aren't bad either.  :)  Now I just have to go sew all the hearts together into our 20 foot garland... and figure out where to put it.  I told the kids the entire month of February can be the month of love, why limit ourselves to just one day.

Right?!

Off I go to sew.  We hope you had a great Valentine's Day too!


P.S. One other Valentine activity that the children did was they worked on some Magic Scratch valentines that Grandma Vicki sent. Lincoln totally enjoyed this activity. (I'm sure we should not have given a pointed wooden stick to a nineteen month old, but we did.)




1 comment:

Jessica Mikesell Brooks said...

Post a picture when you sew that thing together! The kids valentines are on my dresser. I'm nervous to send them. Wait until you see what I made this year!!!!!