Thursday, January 30, 2014

A Month Belated - Purple Belts!


Apparently Christmas time was a bit busy.  I've neglected to note how proud Matt and I are that Bentley and Jake have been working hard and passed their blue with purple stripe belt test AND their purple belt tests!  

The boys have been enjoying doing karate with their father, and also the chance to go to some of the more advanced classes that they have the opportunity to attend now that they're purple belts.  They have also started participating with the demo team at their karate school and are looking forward to performing at a Fur Rondy event next month!

There is more belt testing this week and they're sitting it out this round.  They tell me they need to study a bit more before they take on their purple with green stripe test.  I've been learning more about martial arts and belts myself and what I've learned is that different disciplines all use different belts/colors of belts/ranking systems.  So in order to compare between schools, students rank themselves as to how many belts AWAY from black they are - starting with white belts, who are 10th kyu (or grade) away.  Right now the boys are 5th kyu.  The belts are starting to get harder so they're slowing pace a bit, but not by too much.  They're doing very well (and I have it on other authority than simply my biased Mommy take!)!

Lincoln told me he'd like Bentley and Jake to teach him karate.  We'll see how that goes.  His attention span isn't quite there yet.  :)



No comments: