Monday, December 22, 2014

Christmas Ornaments

Every year I make ornaments with the children. Some ornaments they love making and they ask again and again to make more of them. Some ornaments are not so well received and I have to beg the children to finish them. I have gotten smarter over the years and now I know to have each child make two ornaments at once if the ornament is more complicated. That way when they say they don't like making them, I still have one to keep and one to give away! 

Make-It Bake-It Ornaments
These were a big hit last year and still liked this year, but we didn't find time to make very many. Unfortunately I did not get a photo of all the new ones this year before we gave some of them away.



Sequin Pin Ornaments
I loved making these ornaments as a kid and I made them with Kara. It's hard to find the right supplies (plastic pins), but I had some leftover from years ago. I will wait a couple more years to make these again with the children. Bentley and Jake complained they were too hard--which is not true because they had no problems making them. Viva made three in the time it took Bentley to make two and Jake to make one. I coaxed a second session out of the children by inviting Marjory to make one with us! (Evan did not make one; he just played with the supplies.)




Tissue Paper Trees
Kara found this idea online and it fascinated me because they looked quite pretty and we had all the supplies on hand. They were more work than I anticipated. It took multiple sessions to make them. Bentley did not like working with Mod Podge. I followed the online pattern and had the children add sequins and rhinestones, but I think they looked better without the addition. (See Evan's tree below.) It was my idea to add stars to the top and a twig for a trunk . Viva found me the twigs somewhere in the yard. She is an excellent scavenger.








Foam Snowmen
I don't like foam ornament kits. However they are cheap, quick, all supplies included, easy enough for toddlers, and a hit with the children. Given all those pluses, I buy the kits despite my personal opinion!





No comments: