Tuesday, September 08, 2009

B's Bedtime Litany

Every night the parents put the grandchildren to bed. They dress them in their pjs, they brush their teeth, their father reads them books, they say family prayer, they tuck the little ones into their beds, they give them a final drink of water, and they give a back rub or two--and then they turn the final good-nights over to me.

I, too, give a back rub or two, give them a final, final drink of water, fix their blankets just so, steal a few match box cars (two/bed is ENOUGH), and, most critical, I listen to Bentley's nightly litany.

He says he's asking me a few questions, but really it's a list of demands that goes like this:

Grandma Julie,

--leave the light on (i.e. in the bathroom)

--leave the door open to the wall

--leave the alarm off

--no airplanes or helicopters coming?

--ask opa to think about if he will come and check on me and if he can take me to his bed

--be in your room

Every night B carefully lists all these concerns and I must listen attentively and respond appropriately or he gets very stressed. Toddlers and their (sometimes odd) routines!

No comments: