Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Traditions & Christmas Fun

I'm big on traditions.  I hear they're good for kids, and as humans in general are creatures that love the predictable, it seems like a win-win.  So to wrap up our "Christmas stories", I just wanted to throw out a few other things we squeezed in during December - and end with my angelic 3 year old's take on one of them (sarcasm alert).

So.  We made cookies together!  The kids didn't help with a whole lot of them, they're still kind of young.  We did, however, have a fun morning decorating sugar cookies with Patrick and Cassidy.  And the kids get partial credit for goodie plate delivery because it involved trekking to all corners of Anchorage while they were good sports and listened to Christmas music in the vehicle!

We also had fun doing gingerbread houses, with our buddies David and Daniel.  Next year the houses will probably be more inspiring as our design technique improves?  We can only hope (note: no picture!!!!).

The week of Christmas each of the kids went on a movie date with Daddy.  Bentley went to a special showing of the Polar Express downtown, and had the chance to meet Santa!  Viva and Jake both wanted to see the Frog Princess, so Matt watched it twice.  Lucky him!  A movie date would probably be a fun tradition of sorts, but probably not for the week of Christmas in the future... it was crazy around here!

Lastly, we took the kids out to view Christmas lights.  We saw some decent displays but next year we'll have to do our homework ahead of time so we know the very best places to hit.  Here's how the heartwarming family trip went, from the mouth of Bentley:

after five minutes... I’ve seen enough lights. Take me home now.

a few minutes later... My throat is really dry. I need water and milk. You better take me home now.

a few minutes later... I need to go home and take my shoes off, my foot has a pain in it.

a few minutes later... I’m going to chew on my coat until I puke all over, if you don’t take me home.

a few minutes later...  I need to go pee. Take me home right now before I have an accident

a few minutes later... I’m going to pee all over myself and my carseat if you don't take me home NOW!

a few minutes later...  Next time daddy and I go on an adventure, I want to go look at houses with lights on them. We’re going to take all the light down so nobody else has to look at them.

a few minutes later...  I’m going to take a big stick on my adventure to help get all the lights down.

Ahhhh.  What a charming child.  Note to concerned readers: he didn't really have to go pee.  And he wasn't feeling sick.  These were complaints all in his bag of tricks to try and get what he wanted.  Not that it worked.  But we did have to turn up the Christmas music!

Year 1 of Christmas Light viewing?  A rocky start.  Will we hang in there?  Of course!  I can't imagine how much more fun it will if the twins decide to chime in.  Good thing I'm in charge.  I think.  Right?!

No comments: