Wednesday, September 01, 2010

High Tech Learning


Our household has "gone Apple".  Opa & Matt have been Mac OS users for a while, and I've had an iTouch for about a year.  When the iPad came out, however, we went a little crazy.  We have a few of them in the house (I'm ashamed to count them), we are in love.

And when I say we, I mean more than just the adults.  The toddlers want to know why they don't have their own.  Do you know how many applications there are for kids out there?!  Our model, above, is working on her letter recognition (a program Opa found and modified for them).  Everything is more fun on a shiny touch screen... !  There are great mazes.  There are flash cards.  Memory games.  Drawing programs.  Math programs.  Fishing competitions.  Etc etc.

My question?  I know it's "common" knowledge that too much TV time or computer time rots the young brain.  And we're pretty good with the TV, and the kids don't ever use the computer.  But WHAT is an iPad?  I know it has much in common with a computer, but... it actively engages them.  Is it the same as drawing with pencil and paper from a creativity perspective?  Not as messy, and not QUITE the same - I know.  But it sure seems different than my laptop.  It talks to them.  It can repeat what they say.  So does it develop the brain?  I say yes.  I hope so.  :-)

(P.S. - don't worry.  They do still engage in other activities besides iPading, despite what their father may believe.  This is simply one of their many favorite activities!).


No comments: