Monday, June 06, 2011

FHE: The Spider & The Holy Ghost

I make an effort to do a weekly Family Home Evening night. Sometimes it goes better than other times, but I'm taking it in baby steps. First step? Calling Monday night game night. The kids love games so that was an easy sell. We've been doing that for about a year. This year I decided to "step it up" a notch.

First I started including treat baking every Monday night. That one was also easy for the kids to get into/remember! Next we moved up to including a lesson or story from our church's Friend magazine. Now we start it all out with a prayer. It's going well, even if the "spiritual" part of the evening is only 5-7 minutes!

So tonight Bentley picked a story about the Holy Ghost and how he speaks to us/helps us when we need direction. It was about a little boy who was running down a jungle path and suddenly heard a voice whisper, clearly "stop"! He stopped, and found a huge spider/spider web right in front of his face that he almost ran into.

I paused at this point in the story to ask the kids where they think the voice came from. Story comprehension is good, right? Bentley piped right up: "it was the Holy Ghost"! Smart kid, he knew where the story was going. Jake added: "I don't know, who was it?!?". Viva? Viva said "I know... I bet it was the SPIDER"!

Sometimes I'm not sure if she's messing with me on purpose. I suspect so, but I love her all the same. :-)

No comments: