Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Cat Cookies

I found these cute cat cookies in a Pillsbury Halloween recipe booklet. They looked easy enough except that it's hard to find black licorice laces. I looked on the internet and found a source on ebay, two pounds for $15. I have a Christmas cookie recipe that uses licorice laces, too, so I purchased two pounds of it.

I bought some candy corn for noses and Skittles for eyes. Then I discovered that we didn't have the needed cookie cutter. We own dozens of Halloween cookie cutters, but not a cat's head. ARG! I found the necessary cookie cutter at a local party store. It was part of three set, the other two of which we already owned, of course.

I'd now spent $25 on these cookies and that didn't include the ingredients to make the cookies and frosting. It was time to get baking. I made the cookies and the frosting and then Viva and I sat down and decorated.


What do you think? Are they worth $3.50 each? Viva added the mouth. The cat cookies in the booklet photo only had eyes, whiskers, and noses. Viva insisted on a mouth. She did a nice job.

When the boys got home from gymnastics we made more cookies with them. They didn't care for the cute cat design and so they made their own vampire and monster cookies. Here's an example:


Here's the trio at work.




The last few cookies they decorated had six or eight candy corn teeth on them. Their mom didn't take any photos of those. When Viva and I made cookies together, she faulted me for not matching the cat's eyes. After observing the boys at work, her standards changed.

The cat cookies were a big success. They tasted pretty good, too.

(After ordering the licorice laces online, I found some locally. They weren't black, but they were much cheaper than $15. Next year I'll use them, if they are still available. And since I now own the correct cookie cutter, I will be able to make the cookies much more economically.)

No comments: