Saturday, June 01, 2013

Stunt Rider


I'm pretty sure this isn't how a bike should be ridden... but that's okay.  It's all fun and games before someone gets hurt, right?!

I was reading a friend's Facebook status recently and some pictures of his child's playground trauma were showcased.  I was surprised at the number of friends replying who all stated that their kids had scars in the exact same place from all types of youthful indiscretions!  It's tough work being a little kid, I guess.

I also read a book review recently (Parenting Without Borders) about parenting around the world.  The author's premise, or what I understand it to be from a cursory review, is that most American parents tend to smother their children and don't allow them the space to act and think for themselves - theoretically this freedom and space helps them mature sooner.  I like the idea of the book and plan to read it, but part of me still shudders at the idea of a 6 year old with a pocket knife at the top of a tall tree.  :)

That being said, I am going to work to embrace the "boys will be boys" AND try to keep them safe.  Riding without feet, but wearing a helmet.  A good balance.  Hopefully!

No comments: