Friday, November 21, 2008

They're Home! P.S. We're Moving Today

The travelers arrived home last night at midnight. !!! If I could plan my perfect day it would consist of spending all day with the grandchildren. I've missed them the past eight days. However, life doesn't always (usually!?) conform to my plans. (Why is that? Do I need to perfect my visualization technique?)

Instead of spending the day with Bentley, Jake, and Viva, I'm engaged in a massive moving project. Although we have not yet posted on the blog about our big move, I'm sure everyone who reads the blog knows about it.

We are setting up a four generational household. My mother, Mark & I, and Kara & Matt have purchased a home together. The goal is to sell our three homes (1 is sold, 2 to go) and use those funds to finance a large home that we can all live in happily together--i.e. one with enough space for everyone to be together or apart as they please. (We've determined that to be about 750 square feet/person.)

Originally we had planned to live with my dad, too, but over the past few months his Alzheimer's progressed to a new stage and we decided that it would be better for him and for my mom, if he were placed in an assisted living facility. We found a beautiful, quiet home on Campbell Lake with caring staff that serves no more than five residents at one time.

Anyway, the purpose of this post is to let you know that today and tomorrow we are moving three households into one. Doesn't that sound like FUN?

Are you crazy?! It's not in the least fun. It's a massive headache and far too much work. Do you have any idea how many boxes of books I've packed?! 75-80! At this rate we'll be moving 1000 boxes (from our three households) to the new house. I do not want to know the actual count. It's probably higher. I better go check our supply of analgesics.

Back on topic--I'm giving you fair warning that the blog post on Mexico may not be posted immediately. (Unless Kara wrote it on the long plane trip home.) Kara has a lot left to pack up. She hasn't packed a box in a week--not since she got on that plane to Mexico. Even when she was at home, it was slow going packing with three toddlers to keep track of. And, I haven't helped her pack a single box because I have my own house to pack up. I hope she rested up in Mexico. It's going to be a loooooooong weekend.

Time for me to sign off and go pack more boxes while I figure out how I can squeeze in some fun with the grandchildren during the next two days. The good news is that after Saturday, I'll have very easy access to them. I'm a lucky grandma.

2 comments:

Llama Wanderings said...

I am so excited that this is working out for your family!

The Adventures of Carrie, Brook, Finn and Reid said...

All I can say is WOW! Analgesics...yes. :) Brook and I would not have been able to pull off our move unless Finn and Reid's grandparents watched the kids for us (they were far better at unpacking than packing)...but when the built-in-babysitters are moving too...what happens?

I think the multi-generational housing thing is awesome! I wish you guys luck in moving and selling the remaining two abodes. There will be plenty of grandchildren-time in the weeks to come. Your labor will pay off ten-fold.

GOOD LUCK!!


P.S. Welcome home! We can't wait to see and hear about your trip!