Thursday, November 06, 2008

Time Out

What's a grandparent to do when a grandchild insists on misbehaving? Sometimes I'm required to participate in the nonsensical practice of time outs.

Kara has decreed that when Bentley is put in time out at their home he should be placed on the other side of the baby gate. The reasoning is that he will be despondent over being separated from the fun. (Prior to this he was put in the back room (office), but he always played when sent there.) It is true that he puts on a very impressive act of being heart broken when he is exiled to the Other Side of the Gate. He wails and sobs (no tears) and makes sure that everyone in the house knows he is unhappy.

Let me give you an example of how a time out works. Tuesday night while I was at his home he was having a very hard time sharing his little cars. He refused to let his brother have a single one. He has over twelve of them, so sharing one or two is not an outrageous request.

I tried to work with him to help him see his way to letting his brother have just one vehicle. He was not willing to work with me. I told him that if he attacked his brother and reclaimed the single car that Jake had, then he would have to go into time out and that I would give ALL the little cars and trucks to Jake.

He thought about my edict for about a half a second and then attacked Jake. *sigh* I promptly (like any strict disciplinarian...wait, I'm the indulgent grandparent...well, I had to keep my word) put him in time out on the other side of the gate. He proceeded to assault our ears with his cries of outrage. I dutifully ignored him as did his mother.


Viva could not handle the sounds of distress. She found his blanket and took it to him. Then she climbed on the gate and shook it as if to say "Bro, I'm here for you!". Next she collected a couple of the little cars and took them to him. Soon Jake was taking vehicles to him, too.

The time out was a total wash. Again.

2 comments:

Llama Wanderings said...

we too are still trying to figure out this time out stuff; and where to do it! I usually end up buckling Mil into her high chair.

The Adventures of Carrie, Brook, Finn and Reid said...

What kind siblings! :)

We've tried time out once (actually just this past weekend) and it did not work! Although I have heard of this tactic to be successful for some.

We purchased our first parenting discipline book, 1,2,3 Magic. I hope to regain control over my children one of these days.

P.S. How is the house selling coming along?