Friday, February 20, 2009

Block Mania(cs)

Built entirely by Bentley, with no help:


Hello.  I am Kara, and I am a bit obsessed with building blocks.  I'm not sure why, but it happened!

You may recall reading that Bentley has really gotten into building lately. He had been having fun with the Jenga set of blocks so I decided to use some of the kids Christmas gift money towards some nice quality building blocks.

I had no idea what I was getting into when I first typed building blocks into Amazon. I'm the type of person that tends to over research and analyze before committing (paralysis by analysis, anyone?!) to a decision, so it was a rough couple of days for everyone in the house while I shared all the fascinating block trivia I was discovering. I think my family members were ready to pay me $$ to be quiet about it and just decide!

I'll try to sum it up shortly. Some building blocks come in a "standard block size" (which is a specific unit measurement) or some ratio on the standard block size. This means that all the pieces in the set will stack nicely and fit together exactly.  The kids can "see" the ratios and fractions and how it all comes together.  Good for the brain, more fun for building! Some building blocks are not standard unit block sizes, more just a huge set of pieces that only kind of play together. I decided I wanted standard unit blocks. But, then, how to pick which ones?! Brio, Plan Toys, HABA... all make nice blocks, and fun sets you can "add on" to your blocks with, but all of them use a slightly different ratio of the standard block. So they won't play together nicely.

I'm sure you'll be interested to know I decided on Plan Toy blocks, because I found another brand with fun colors to make the basic block set a little more fun - and, awesomely enough, the other brand uses the exact same dimensions!  Quite a serendipitous discovery - and at the local toy store, no less!  Not online at Amazon!

My children have obliged their crazed mother, and they seem quite taken with their mountain of blocks. I am happy they are getting in some good unstructured play. They are happy they can build huge towers and then knock them over and hear a huge crash. It's a win win.





Looks fun, doesn't it?!  And you can see that boys of all ages love blocks. Even Viva started getting in on the block action today.  She isn't quite as coordinated as her brothers (yet), but that's okay.  She'll get there.

Want to know more about block sets? Email me and I'll save you hours of research.  :-)  I'm told I'm quite the building block sales gal.  The ladies at the toy place offered me a job because I sold someone else on the two sets I was buying while I was in the store!

2 comments:

Llama Wanderings said...

Looks like WAY TOO much fun! :D My dad got Mil a small set of blocks for Christmas, I'd love to have your research for when we have more room to add to our blocks! :D

The Adventures of Carrie, Brook, Finn and Reid said...

WOW! That was intense.

Once we get a train/activity table (which I have just about given up on looking on Craigslist for one!), I think we'll have to invest in some good quality blocks. Thanks for doing the research for me! Can you get these at OTR Toys? Or the other toy store on Benson?

What fun!