Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The VivaJake Pair


It's hard to talk about one twin without bringing up the other one. When I wrote my Viva! Viva! post, Jake's name kept coming up. I had to go back and edit out some parenthetical comments that I made about Jake because the goal of my post was to talk about Viva.

Obviously the twins interact together a lot so telling stories about one twin will often necessitate the use of the other twin's name, however it is not necessary to always be comparing one twin to the other. Viva likes the church nursery. Jake does not. Jake has a hard time teething. Viva does not. Viva mimics words. Jake does not. Jake likes waffles. Viva does not. It sure is hard to break the habit!

It's not just parents and grandparents who compare twins one to another. Whenever someone learns that I have a twin the first question out of their mouth is "Is she like you?" They aren't simply asking if we're identical twins and look alike, they are asking if she has my personality traits. Are there two of me roaming the planet? Why people think like that, I can't say. Perhaps it's a great fear of singletons that someone else is JUST LIKE THEM!?

No comments: