Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Muffin Makers

My baking helper, intently eying the product and ready to do some official food taste testing:


We love muffins at our place. To be completely correct I should say I like to make muffins, Bentley likes to eat (some) muffins, and the twins? Viva will shovel them in and if Jake is in a generous mood he'll eat one or two mini muffins before throwing the rest at his siblings.

When Bentley was a little guy (long long ago, of course) he enjoyed all types of muffins and quick bread. Pumpkin, banana, zucchinni... not a problem. I could slather the butter on and convince him to chow down. He has since moved past that all inclusive bread eating and become more selective. His current favorites are Poppy Seed and Martha Stuart's Cranberry and Zucchini Muffins. Touch a banana muffin? No way!

Viva will eat all flavors. Jake, as mentioned above, will sometimes eat some and sometimes not. I'm not sure what's with that - doesn't he know we're a very strongly carb loving household? I'm trying to win him over. I love the convenience of baking a few pans and then freezing them to pop in the microwave for breakfast. And I can even tell myself they're almost healthy. You can put carrots, zucchini, or pumpkin in your muffins. You can add pineapple, apples, cranberries, blueberries... sometimes I even get extra sneaky and put some whole wheat flour or flaxseed. Good stuff!

2 comments:

Morgan said...

That is so0o0o cute! I personally am a big fan of muffins with a ton of butter. :) i should probably start baking again... hmmm

The Adventures of Carrie, Brook, Finn and Reid said...

CUTE!!!!

We are big muffin lovers in our house too. I love experimenting with different types of muffins and different add-ins to make them a bit more healthy. Last week was chocolate zucchini (with chocolate chips and cocoa). I added a little flax and used ww flour (the 'white' ww flour by King Arthur is amazing for baking!).

Do you get Cook's Illustrated? It is my favorite magazine by far. It is 'the one' that I promised to keep the subscription when I was pregnant even though I knew I would not be doing much cooking or, big surprise, magazine reading! Still, it's the best.

On Monday I made their "Best Blueberry Muffins" but I made a huge mistake and bought a brand new Wilton muffin tin in DARK aluminum (sp?) and didn't adjust the cooking temp (425--which seemed high) or the length of cooking time. And the lemon sugar that I sprinkled on top (yum!) liquified and left a horrible burnt taste on the sides of the muffins and the darker tin burnt the muffin bottoms. I was bummed becuase they weren't super easy to make (like most Cook's recipes, there is at least one 'fussy' step, and this one included making your own blueberry jam for extra zing, with the addition of whole blueberries).

I love hearing about Bentley's little eating quirks. He sounds like a guy who knows what he wants when he wants it! How is the weight discrepency between the 3 of them? Is Viva topping them all? That girl seems like she's got one great appetite!