Monday, May 11, 2009

It's Green!

I have long been wanting a Vitamix blender. I've spent many an hour (too many, I'm sure) researching them but the hold up on purchase was the Costco factor. Everyone kept saying they were cheaper at Costco and that was the place to buy them. But they haven't been at Costco lately!

With that history in mind perhaps you can imagine how delighted I was to see the Vitamix booth at Costco last week. I didn't quite run to it (I do have some dignity) - but my love of kitchen gadgets, research on blenders, and a desire to eat healthier all came together to help that big blender box into the shopping cart quite quickly!

So. I've been experimenting with smoothie combinations in the search for the ultimate green smoothie (a "real" green smoothie has about 60-70% vegetable content to 30-40% fruit - we're going to have to work up to that). My first smoothies were kind of muddy swamp water green, not too appealing. That's what you get when you add a mango and some blueberries to spinach though. I've moved on to apple, kiwi, lime, wheat grass, and spinach. It's a lovely green color - really! Lovely!

Today Jake graciously agreed to put on a shirt to compliment the smoothie and then he really went out on a limb and decided to try the smoothie (he tripped over his own feet running away from my muddy swamp green smoothie the other day!).


A lovely green, yes?! Viva noticed that Jake was eating without her...


How convenient! Two straws! Jake, ever the sweet brother (other than those 4 bite marks Viva is sporting this week....), assisted with the straw placement.


Twins. Too cute.



Bentley wasn't willing to try my green smoothie today, but there is always tomorrow. Mommy and the Vitamix will get to him eventually.

Is that a threat or a promise?

2 comments:

Llama Wanderings said...

Absolutely a promise! :D ;)

Sam and Carmin said...

beautiful green smoothie, kara! what a great idea to try the green fruits to assure the color. have you tried parsley yet?