Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Let the Fun Nights Begin


Today my Mother and I took apart 3 cribs and moved 3 toddler beds into the holding cell (also known as the toddler room). (Thank you for the hours of service, Grandma!!)

This story started a couple years ago when I eagerly bought my first born a toddler bed. We talked it up, Opa's one and only quilt was finished as a "bed warming" gift for the little man, and then... nothing. Bentley was just not into it. And that was okay with me - I figure the crib kept him confined, and he didn't seem too interested in climbing out of it! So we moved on. The toddler bed went back to the garage and we remained a 3 crib home.

Fast forward to recent life. All the kids climb out of their cribs at will. Viva isn't too graceful and often crashes out. Jake is great at getting out but he can't get back in! This morning found him sleeping in the hallway after a failed attempt to go back to his bed. :-)

This past weekend I found a $10 toddler bed in new condition at a garage sale. Soooo... my mother urged me to buy it. The bed was carried up to the nursery, where it became clear that 1 bed and 3 children just would not do. The twins were brawling over it! At this point I confirmed my fear that in the move I somehow lost the parts to put Bentley's toddler bed back together again. Drat. 4 hardware stores later I found all the pieces needed to make it whole once more. 1 trip to Walmart for the 3rd bed, and we are now a 3 toddler bed household!

Viva was a little uncertain about the removal of her crib.


I think she's over it though - the twins were having a jump fest with the new beds. I'm not sure they know that they are for sleeping on. I wonder if they know sleeping is required and not optional? I hope they know because 1 crib was sold on Craig's list tonight, and the other has a sale lined up for the morning.

Next up: installation of my door chime that will alert me, with a lovely chime wherever I take the receiver, whenever the bedroom door is opened. Isn't technology amazing? How did "they" do it before? :-)

Wish us luck with nap time and bed time. I think we may need it!

1 comment:

The Adventures of Carrie, Brook, Finn and Reid said...

Did you let them pick their own bed? Different colors at our house = lots of fights!

We have 3 different plastic bikes in the yard and, of course, they both want the same one and refuse to ride the other two!

Good luck with the process! It was, surprisingly, easier than we thought it would be since the novelty of climbing out of the cribs was gone! We did childproof the doorknobs so they can't escape their room and, of course, the "barracade" that is up by their window seat is still present....and might be for a long, long time.

Can't wait to read about The First Night. :)

Congrats, B, J and G!