Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Small Male Child Hair! Cut by ME!

About 3 years or so ago I checked out a book or two on haircutting from the library.  I googled it and watched some videos.  I'd been carefully observing the beautician when she cut Bentley's hair.

But somehow when we had him sitting there, and the scissors in hand, I just couldn't make it happen!  Little kids just have such cute little faces and it seems like a shame to ruin them with a butchered head of hair (or even worse no hair because you have to buzz it all off when the hair cut goes awry... LOL).

Fast forward a couple years.  I bought a set of clippers at Costco.  They've been sitting in the closet for close to a year now, and periodically I ask the boys if I can cut their hair.  They always say no.  Should I be offended?!

But I finally got lucky.  Jake told me he WANTED ME to cut his hair.  Sweet!  I figure Jake is the safer one to start my skills on, as his hair is finer and not quite as thick as Bentley's.

The verdict?  No bald spots.  It really wasn't as hard as I thought (as any of you who own clippers know!).  It could look a lot more polished, sure, but it was a good first step!  Proof below that he still has hair, and there is less of it than before.  Score one for Mommy.  :-)

The before:


And the after (ignore slightly glazed expression on child's face... he was distracted from the intense drawing session he was engaged in....):


P.S.: Jake and I used the $15 we saved on a haircut to buy a child size hair cape.  We have high hopes it will work better than the huge adult one we tried out this past time.  If he lets me cut his hair again, that is.  He says I was slow!

No comments: