Friday, September 14, 2007

The Idyllic Life

The other day I arrived at Kara's home to find her camped out on the couch:


I told her it sure seemed that she had the idyllic life. What could be finer than lounging on a couch in the middle of the afternoon snuggling with an infant? Why snuggling with two infants, of course! (Bentley was also napping, but in his crib. He's too active to join a group nap.)

Of course, such moments are rare and they are balanced out by other moments like this:



Recently while I was in solo charge of the grandchildren, all three were crying at the same time. It was a group hysteria thing. Once the twins got going, Bentley joined in because he wanted my attention and I didn't respond in my usual quick manner as I was trying to comfort the twins who were not responding at all to my efforts. So there I was sitting on the living room floor with three howling little ones. Not pleasant at all. I felt quite inept and I seriously considered joining them in their cry fest.

There's a recent radio ad campaign that warns that parents of infants transfer their stress to their babies and it's not good for the baby's brain development. Well, what about infants who transfer their stress to their parents and grandparents?! It sure rattles my brain to hear that much crying, shrieking, and howling. Do you think dementia could be brought on by overexposure to infants?

Oops, I think I've slipped off topic.

No comments: