Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Wooden Train Set

It all started a couple of months ago when Kara and I received coupons for 20% off one item at Classic Toys, an upscale toy store. Sure, I'd been there before, but never with my toddler grandson in tow and an intent to buy. I left having spent a goodly sum of money. I went back within the week and spent more money. Over the next month I purchased online other items I had seen there.

It was at Classic Toys that I got the idea that my grandchildren would enjoy owning a wooden train set. While we were in the store Bentley spent a good deal of time playing at their train table. Train sets are advertised for three years and up so I hadn't thought about buying him one before that fateful visit.

I spent hours online researching different wooden train sets--Thomas, Brio, Melissa & Doug, and Maxim. I looked at engines (some are battery powered!), cars, bridges, tunnels, cargo loaders, track sets, specialty track pieces, etc. I checked out prices and shipping options. A good, basic train set can be purchased for $80, but the add ons add up. And the add ons are the fun part, so...you are going to add on...and on.

After much agonizing, I purchased a Melissa & Doug train set. Then I bought a Thomas bridge, a Brio tunnel, four Thomas engines (one battery powered), one Thomas car, two Brio engines (one battery powered), and one Brio car. Today I purchased some specialty track from Maxim and a Thomas cargo loader. Yes, the add ons do add up.

Is it worth the expense? You bet ya! Bentley loves the train set. Every time he comes to visit us he spends a good portion of his time here playing with the train set. He is too little to do the track layout (we have fun doing that), but when he's older I'm sure he'll love designing and redesigning track layouts--using all those cool specialty pieces I just ordered today.



No comments: