Saturday, April 05, 2008

Proper Names

Just last week I reported that Bentley refused to use proper names. Being a contrary two year old, I no sooner wrote that than he started popping out proper names. Kara reports that his first proper name was Robby. Who is Robby?! That's what I asked. He's a character on "Seventh Heaven", a tv series that Kara, Matt, and kidlets watch on DVD. I figure he latched on to Robby's name because it rhymes with bobby (bottle).

A day or so later he called his uncle Tyler "Ty". Next he called Amrita "Ami". Last night he said "Vivi"--echoing me as I was using one of my many nicknames for Genevieve. (I'm trying out different nicknames looking for just the right one.) Kara tried to get him to say "Viva". She likes Viva better than Vivi which she tells me is not a sanctioned nick name. Bentley totally ignored her and started chanting "Opa" instead. See what I mean about being contrary?!

I tried to get him to identify himself as Bentley, but he refused. He led Kara and I around in circles either insisting he was Daddy (huh?) or naming himself "Me!". He's such a clever tyke, we simply could not outsmart him. You try.

No comments: