Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Nemo & The Toilet

I'm not entirely sure I should consider this one of my finer parenting moments... BUT it is amusing (and it worked) so I decided it was worth sharing.

Although not yet convinced that the toilet is completely awesome, Bentley is convinced that flushing the toilet is very fun. Lately he's gotten in the habit of wiping his nose, dumping the tissue in the toilet, flushing the toilet, and repeating the process. Over and over.

Maybe you're thinking I should just make him stop - easier said than done though. I finally had a brilliant (or twisted?) moment though and explained to him that when he flushes the toilet all those extra times that he doesn't really need to that it hurts Nemo.

Bentley is a HUGE Nemo fan lately. He requests that the book be read every single day. We rented him the movie thinking he might like it, but I think the sharks and music were a bit much for him - so it's back to the book and I can't say I mind that he's not hooked on Disney movies. Anyway... I took advantage of this love for Nemo and in a perhaps somewhat loosely (very loosely?!) true way explained to him why we shouldn't waste water.

So now he throws his tissues in the trash can, and explains to me that he doesn't want to hurt Nemo. I love it. Did I mislead him a bit? Perhaps... but I still love it!

:-)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Now you just need to tell him that when he uses the potty it helps to feed nemo (or something weird like that). Maybe it will inspire him?!? :)