Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Silverware Unleashed!

One of the sad facts of twin-hood is that a mother has only half as much energy for you. Instead of the full glory of 100% of Mom's attention and energy? 50%. You're jipped. It's not fair.

Just this past week I realized that my neglected babies have been deprived of the experience of learning to eat with silverware. I can't recall (it's been a long couple of years, after all) exactly when Bentley was introduced to a spoon & a fork, but I feel certain it was much earlier than 16 months.

After all - he was my first born. I was totally on top of everything and eager to have him learn new skills. He had his rice cereal at six months, new fruits & veggies 5 days apart, went through the stage 1 / stage 2 / stage 3 Gerber baby foods, right on schedule. I'm positive he was given a spoon before he even turned 1.

The twins? The thought of the mess they'll make is just too much for me. By the time I/Matt/Grandma/Grandpa are done feeding them 1 or 2 different foods, enough is enough. Let them sit there and try to figure out silverware, while making a big mess? Ridiculous!

I know it's a weak excuse. And in my defense, it's not like these thoughts were really conscious ones until I wondered to myself this past week "why aren't my twins using silverware"?! So, of course, once I noticed this large gap in their meal time regime we moved right to rectifying it.

Viva was a pro. She got it within 5 minutes. Maybe I was right to wait!




Jake figured out how to get the applesauce on his spoon. He, however, had no interest in putting it in his mouth. He fed his blankie. Which raises the question, I know: "Why is his blankie at the table"? I'm not sure. You should talk to his Mother about that odd behavior.

1 comment:

Llama Wanderings said...

Millikins almost always eats with her blankie sitting between her booster seat and the back of the kitchen chair. If it's not there and she notices food is forgotten and will never be eaten at that meal. She's getting better about not having to have her blankie at the table; but it has worsened away from the table. I washed the sacred item this am and she totally lost it when she realized I put it in the washer. She was just not the happy girl I know till it came out of the dryer.