Monday, August 25, 2008

The Brownies Did It

Matt & Bentley have been enjoying the Spiderwick Chronicles as part of the bed time reading routine lately. Matt's a big fan of chapter books, as more than half the time you can find Bentley fast asleep by the end of a few pages. Whether this means he really enjoys the books or is not so interested is a question I don't know the answer to!

I do know, however, that he's paying at least some attention to the books. We were heading home last night from a birthday celebration for Matt up at Grandpa Tim and Grandma Karen's home and Bentley (as he is prone to, I have to admit) reached over from his carseat and hit his poor sister in the head (refer to "The Trouble with Brothers"... !).

We gave him a chance to confess because, for whatever reason, we like to do that! Matt said to Bentley: "Bentley, did you hit your sister?". Bentley, normally an honest little guy, replied "No Daddy, the brownies did it".

The brownies... the mischevious trouble making imps that he has recently been hearing about in the Spiderwick Chronicles. I'm pleased the kid has a good imagination. In fact, I had a hard time not laughing. I understand I'm the parent and shouldn't be encouraging him - but - still, it's hard sometimes. That boy is a hoot!

His Father, of course, gave him a stern lecture and let him know he hadn't tricked us. Should I be offended that my child thinks his parents are an easy con job?!

* In Bentley's defense (for hitting his sister, not for the misdirection of the truth), Genevieve can be a hard little girl to sit next to. She has strong fingers and an unfortunate tendency to pinch. It's how she tries to retaliate for the constant abuse she suffers, I venture to guess. In the rear view mirror I can often see a little hand reach over from her carseat to grab Bentley's upper arm. Bentley has taken to riding in his carseat with his arms held up high over his head so she can't reach him. Poor kid!

Why don't I stop all this sibling on sibling abuse, you may be wondering? I try, I really do! But they're quicker than I am, smarter than I am, more passionate about their cause, and oh yeah - they outnumber me. But I'll keep at it. But until I win? I guess I should get used to having lots of little brownies around.

:-)

1 comment:

Llama Wanderings said...

I LOVE IT! Can I blame my unclean house on the brownies??!? The house is not cleaned because the brownies attacked and it's not because I spent all weekend sewing and not picking up...yup, the brownies did it!