Monday, August 11, 2008

Identical Fraternal Twins

There is no such thing as identical fraternal twins. The fraternal thing (OPPOSITE sex) rather negates the possibility of identicalness. So, no, Viva and Jake are not identical fraternal twins. Jake is a boy. Viva is a girl. After a few thousand diaper changes there is no doubt of those facts.

Whenever anyone says that Jake and Viva look identical, I find myself wondering, do they think that Jake looks like a girl or that Viva looks like a boy? What parent (or grandparent) wants to hear that their little girl could pass for a boy? Or that their little boy could pass for a girl?


Is Jake a girl-pretty boy?


Is Viva a boy-pretty girl?

I just don't see the identical thing. Viva has her quirky eyebrows and Jake has his big grin. Their main similarities are size and skin color. Although you cannot tell from photos, their hair and eye colors are distinctly different, but not dramatically so.

I have to admit that they are identically cute.

4 comments:

The Adventures of Carrie, Brook, Finn and Reid said...

Identically cute is right!

As a mom of the all too common same sex variety, I feel your pain. Even though Finn (boy #1) and Reid (boy #2) do not own one single garment that is pink, purple or, come to think of it, yellow (ok...maybe one shirt!), we get questions such as the ones that you experience:

Inquirer: Are they identical?

Us: Yep!

Inquirer: Both girls? No, no...one girl, one boy? That one looks like she's got longer hair.

Us: Um, we've got to run, my grapes are getting warm.

The Adventures of Carrie, Brook, Finn and Reid said...

P.S.

How did you get this fancy new background? I love it!

But shouldn't really be blue sense you and Viva are outnumbered? Or maybe this is a retaliation?!? Or maybe you are pregnant again with identical twin girls? :)

Unknown said...

There are identical boy/girl twins. It is very rare, a website said that 99.9% of boy/girl twins are fraternal. There is an article from a mom with boy/girl twins here: http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art1291.asp/zzz
Just FYI.

You're little ones look very similar. I have identical boy/boy twins. I thought they were fraternal until I had their DNA tested. They were di/di so we weren't sure if they were MZ or not. If my guys were boy/girl I probably wouldn't have tested them.

Anonymous said...

What I think people mean is not that they look like tgw other by the sexes but by their facial features. They both have the same nose and eyes.