Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Vacation: The Beach

I'm a "true" Alaskan. I prefer the cold weather (I say that even now, while it's -8 degrees outside) to blistering hot weather. I get cranky when it's too hot out. I maintain you can always put more layers on to stay warm, but there's only so many layers to take off when it gets too hot.

Despite this Alaskan nature of mine, once the sun screen is all lathered on and the fuss of preparing for the sun is out of the way, I really like beaches. Sand - it's cool stuff! The waves? Awesome. The salt water? Not so great when you swallow it up your nose. :-)

The kids aren't so sure yet, but I think they warmed up to the beach after a little while. They were freaked out at first by the sound of those huge waves crashing on the shore! And the sand? Bentley refused to walk on it for a while. Jake liked it in limited amounts. Viva wanted to eat it. They were happy playing next to the water, and I have hopes that next time we go we can convince them to go IN the water!

We had fun trying to build in the sand. I think before we go again I'll have to google sand castles first to get some master builder tips though - mine kept falling apart on level 2.











1 comment:

Llama Wanderings said...

I have to say that I LOVE the sand handprints on Jake! Too Funny!!!!