Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Finally a Sunny Day!

This summer has not been a hot one. May had some nice days, but no scorchers (even by Alaskan standards). Then along came June. There were some nice days, but we didn't pull the pool out. We thought we had plenty of summer left to enjoy pool days. Hah! The weather deteriorated the last couple of weeks in June and July so far has followed the same lousy, mostly cloudy (with little rain) pattern. Global Warming?! Bring it on. We in Anchorage would love some hotter than average temperatures. Heck, we'd settle for some average temperatures.

On Monday we finally had our first sunny day of the month. I wanted to haul out the kiddie pool, but I was overruled. Oddly enough, it was the grandchildren who first said "No, thanks!" It's been so many months since we had out the pool that they can't remember it. (Which in Jake's case is just as well because he refused to get in the pool last summer. I think we only had it out once, maybe twice.)

In the evening I finally convinced Jake and Viva to put on their swim suits and water shoes and head outside for some fun in the sprinkler. (Bentley was visiting with Grandma Karen, so it was just the twins and I.) They were quite skeptical of the idea of running in the spray from the sprinkler and for the most part they avoided getting wet. I finally trapped them on the swing set in the infant swings and then I put the sprinkler near the swings. This plan got mixed reviews. There were shrieks about water getting in their eyes. These kids take showers regularly, so what's the big deal?

Tuesday was cloudy. Again. Then today we had more sun and I convinced Kara to locate the kiddie pool. We also found the fancy dancing spikes water hose. I hooked a hose up to the sink in the garage and ran it out to the driveway so the water was warm. All three children had a good time running in and out of the spray, although Jake held back more than the other two. I then filled up the kiddie pool and gave them bubbles to play with. They had a great time.

Bentley seemed to enjoy himself more than the twins, but when I asked if he wanted to do it again, he said no. Huh? The twins are all for more pool time. I think Bentley will change his mind when it comes time to play, but I'm still baffled by his no vote.

We're keeping a hot weather watch. The pool is currently draped on great-grandma's car so we can easily access it. Next time I'll try to get photos of the kids in the pool. Or better yet, a short video. We tried to get a video the first night of the twins running through the sprinkler, but since they avoided getting wet, the video was a no go.

No comments: